Subscribe to the Podcast in I-Tunes
This is the latest podcast to be released from Leo Laporte's TWIT Network. "Roz rows the Pacific" is a series of regular interviews with Ocean Adventurer Roz Savage as she rows solo across the Pacific Ocean from the USA to Australia. The Podcast is updated three times a week.
Roz admits that she is an unlikely adventurer. An office-bound salary slave for most of her adult life, it wasn’t until her mid-thirties that she decided that there had to be more to life than four grey walls.
She took her first foray into the world of adventure in 2003, with a three month exploration of Peru. Her confidence boosted, she then looked around for her next big project. It had to be:
- environmentally friendly (to make amends for 11 years’ of business travel)
- solo (so she could test her capabilities without relying on someone else)
- challenging (so she could grow as a person)
- unusual (so she could make a living from writing and talking about it)
- physical (so she could shed a few pounds).
Ocean rowing seemed to tick all the boxes, and eight years of rowing on the River Thames was enough to give Roz the happy delusion that this was something she was vaguely qualified to do. So the choice was made.
In 2005-6 Roz rowed across the Atlantic Ocean as the only solo female competitor in the 3000-mile Atlantic Rowing Race from the Canaries to Antigua.
And in Summer 2008 she will set out on a three stage, three year project to row solo across the Pacific – 7600 miles from the United States to Australia.