Nine has today announced that production will start on a fifth series of Married at First Sight later this year and go to air on the Nine Network in 2018.
The extreme social experiment where 20 brave singles meet for the very first time on their wedding day, then move in with each other to embark on life together as husband and wife.
Viewers have been captivated by the expanded series which features 10 couples tying the knot, heated weekly dinner parties and emotionally charged commitment ceremonies.
Series four of Married at First Sight has been a significant success for the network delivering a series national average of 1.472 million viewers. More importantly it taken viewers (particularly female) away from the once dominant MKR.
The series high peak audience of 2.293 million viewers was achieved on Monday, February 13. Married at First Sight has boosted Nine’s audience in the 7.30pm – 9.00pm timeslot by 20% year-on-year with Total People, by 40% with People 25-54 and by 71% with People 16-39 (when compared to the corresponding days last year).
Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, said:
“We are so proud of Married at First Sight and its performance. It is a terrific show that is emotionally charged, full of love, and provides couples with a real shot at finding love. It’s no wonder everyone is talking about it. We can’t wait to see what the next series will bring.”
Season five will again be produced by Endemol Shine Australia for the Nine Network.
Endemol Shine Australia CEO, Mark Fennessy, said:
“We are thrilled to be recommissioned for another season of Australia’s most controversial and groundbreaking series. Season four has proven to be a ratings hit for Nine and we’re looking forward to taking it further in season five on this much talked about show.”